OT: Americans love their guns

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Sat Aug 30 17:47:38 EDT 2003

Richard Wesley wrote:

> US murders with firearms were 8,259 in 1999, ranked #4 in the world.

Indeed, even taking all firearm murders out of the total "number
of murders" from that same page would change the US from the
sixth most murderous country to the eighth; clearly the US is
"just a bunch of violent nuts" in any case.

It seems obvious to me that eliminating guns in the US would not
eliminate the murders, and I would guess that at least some of
the "murders with guns" would occur with some other implement
were there no guns to be had.  Sure, some murders would not be
committed, but zoinks if the US were to still be in eighth place
without guns being available?!?  What would the reason be then?

-tom!

--
There's really no reason to send a copy of your
followup to my email address, so please don't.