What's better about Ruby than Python?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 09:57:20 EDT 2003

"Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> writes:
[...]
> I don't know much about Ruby but I did some substantial programming in
> Python and Perl. I should now consider side issues more important than
> language features itself:
>
> - How fast does the code run
> - Is there an acceptable IDE (best: GUI/IDE  RAD-Framework)
> - Is there a flexible and fast GUI Toolkit
> -Can you access OpenGL
> - Which platforms are supported
> - How easy is multimedia (Sound/Movie in- and output)
> - How can you deploy your program
> - How large is a self contained EXE file
> - Is there mathematical support (array arithmetic, statistical functions,
> plotting)
> - Is there documentation
> - Are there books

AFAIK, none of these are distinguishing features between Python and
Perl.

The really major differences are: Perl has tons of library code
(though Python has lots) and Perl has a pile of stuff you have to
learn that brings no significant benefits.  It'd be great to see more
research on the impact of the nonsense-overhead that comes with Perl
(and is absent from Python).

John