Python vs. C#

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Aug 13 03:16:21 EDT 2003

Brian Quinlan wrote:

>>>I think that depends on how efficient you are at writing tests.
>>>Python offers a great testing framework to help you.
>>
>>No, writing tests consumes time.
>
> Of course. The question is whether writing tests results in less net
> development time (due to more rapid bug discovery and elimination). My
> experience is that it usually does.

Yeah. The main idea behind test is that they catch errors faster, and
ensures a better design for your code.

A rule of thumb says that a bug that is caught later one requires a lot
longer time to debug as a function the size of the codebase.

roughly:

     debug_time = n_bugs * size_of_code

So there are *big* savings in catching bugs early. That is why tests
saves time. And a lot of time at that.

Also they help you catch bugs as you create them and the test suite
expose them.

Only thing is that the saving only shows up later in the project as less
delay ... ;-)

regards Max M