PythonPath not working with 2.2.3 on Win ME

Rami A. Kishek ramiak2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 12:16:09 EDT 2003

Answering my own question for the benefit of others upgrading from
1.5.2, after a painstaking search on sourceforge.net, I found a cryptic
exchange between the developers which gave me a clue.   In the registry,
you need to add your own user directories that you want to be in the
PythonPath into the SUB-Keys of Python (i.e. Pythonwin or Win32) rather
than the main Key, which doesn't get read.  It was not clear from what I
found whether this feature is deliberate or whether it is a bug, and it
is not clear whether my workaround is the elegant solution, but it
worked.

It would be nice, though, if the developers included one line about that
issue in the installation notes for the clueless!