OT: Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Aug 27 18:49:04 EDT 2003

Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > But if you refuse to go to prison, things get lethal pretty quickly.
> > That's what "ultimately" refers to above.
>
> Well, I don't think they get very lethal, they get painful at most.
>
> > I think the key word in the above is "ultimately", and
> > I can see why ESR would (I think validly) state what he did above.
>
> Ultimately, the state will use violence. But this violence should not
> have lethal consequences.

No, you're not taking the word "ultimately" far enough.  First the state
tries to get painful on your ass, so you resist.  Then they get really
violent, and still you resist.  Picture the nature of this resistance,
which usually would have to involve standing up to armed police by
this point.  Now tell me how, you plan to avoid *ultimately* getting to
the lethal stage, without giving in first.

-Peter