Path Problem on W2K?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 17 18:08:13 EDT 2003

Dennis Reinhardt wrote:
>>I generally avoid installing in
>
> c:\Program<abominable_space>Files\anything.

Related, but off-topic at the same time,
I've seen many programs on Windows that barf on the
default TEMP directory on Windows 2000 and XP.
That is defined as somewhere in

c:\documents and settings\username\temporary files

or something. Anyway, it contains one or more spaces.
Many -broken- tools (mostly installers!) choke on this,
that's why I always set TEMP (and TMP) to "C:\temp"
as soon as I get my hands on a 'clean' Win2000/Xp box...
(yup, get rid of the per-user-tempdir).

Bah. ;-)

spaces-in-paths-are-evilly-y'rs, Irmen de Jong