Deleting email message using imaplib?

Bill Sneddon bsneddon at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 16:14:45 EDT 2003

Anyone have an example they are willing to share that shows
how to use the store command in imaplib?

	store( message_set, command, flag_list)
	Alters flag dispositions for messages in mailbox.

I have been unable to find one or get the syntax correct through
trial and error.

I can send the command to the server in the following manor.
The only problem is I can not get the response back from the server.
I tried the recent() and the responce(code) objects with no success.
Not sure what the code should be.

I would be open to a different approach to delete a message if one exist.

This is example of deleting from  PythonWin.

 >>> m.send('A003 STORE 2:4 +FLAGS (\Deleted)')
 >>> m.recent()
('OK', ['0'])
 >>> m.expunge()
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Python23\lib\imaplib.py", line 402, in expunge
     typ, dat = self._simple_command(name)
   File "C:\Python23\lib\imaplib.py", line 1000, in _simple_command
     return self._command_complete(name, self._command(name, *args))
   File "C:\Python23\lib\imaplib.py", line 832, in _command_complete
     raise self.abort('command: %s => %s' % (name, val))
abort: command: EXPUNGE => unexpected response: 'A0032 OK STORE completed'
 >>> m.expunge()

Thanks for your help.  Sorry if this is a FAQ but I looked and could not
find the answer.

Bill Sneddon