Python and cron jobs.

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Tue Aug 5 03:31:03 EDT 2003

Quoth Fazer:
> I am wondering that if it is possible to add cron jobs via a web or
> shell interface?  I can make Python act as a shell script and be
> called by a PHP script.  But my main goal here is to be able to manage
> cronjobs.  Add or remove certain crjob jobs etc...
>
> Can any kind soul shed some light on how I would accomplish this?

The question is a bit vague, I'm afraid.

If you just want to know how to invoke crontab(1) from a Python
script, look up os.popen() and friends in the standard library
documentation.  As for getting the cron daemon to reload the
changed crontab, that's a nop in the crons I've seen; they check
for changes every minute anyway.

If you want to know something else, please specify.

Steven Taschuk                               staschuk at telusplanet.net
"What I find most baffling about that song is that it was not a hit."
                                          -- Tony Dylan Davis (CKUA)