MySQLdb: execute query results...

mackstann mack at incise.org
Sun Aug 31 20:14:00 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 11:57:07PM +0000, Sheila King wrote:
> Here is what I *think* I know...let me know if I'm wrong, for crying out
> loud!!!
>
> [...]
>
> doesn't result always return the number of affected rows?
>
> [...]
>
> Can I *RELY* on that "2L" result of the UPDATE statement under the cursor's
> "execute" method representing the number of rows updated? Or am I assuming
> too much?

Looked in site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py, and it seems you are
correct.

>>> from MySQLdb import cursors
>>> help(cursors.BaseCursor.execute)

Help on method execute in module MySQLdb.cursors:

execute(self, query, args=None) unbound MySQLdb.cursors.BaseCursor
method
    Execute a query.

[...]

    Returns long integer rows affected, if any

HTH,
--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
Harris's Lament: