Newbie question! Plotting with Tkinter...

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Sat Aug 30 03:22:54 EDT 2003

"Michael" <holmboe at kth.se> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:9193c0d1.0308291322.12538c14 at posting.google.com...
> Hi!
>
> Im a supernewbie who wants to plot simple x/y-diagrams, one list[]
> against an other. Can I use Tkinter? Can i plot 3D, and/or
> interactivly with Tkinter? Does anyone know about a easy to use
> tutorial or code to use? Or whatabout Numeric? Can i use Numeric to
> plot some simple graphs? I´ve been looking around for a while and cant
> find any simple, easy to use or install program/module...
>
> /Michael

There is an extension to Pmw (Mega widgts, which themselves are extensions
to Tkinter) called BLT, these work quite fine and are very well documented.
They are interactive as well because they use the Canvas widget.

(I remember rumors however, that BLT will not work with the most recent Pmw
for Python 2.3. I also recall there was some installation trick for
BLT...... Ask in this group if you encounter problems...)

The drawback with BLT is, that it is not the fastest; otherwise it is fine.

A much more profesional plot package is DISLIN which is very fast and (at
least under win32) easily installed. It as well has a limited GUI of its own
with some widgets, so you not necessarily have to use Tk at all. I can
recommend it.

Kindly
Michael P