large-scale app development in python?

Nicodemus nicodemus at globalite.com.br
Sat Aug 23 16:48:45 EDT 2003

Hi Gabor,

gabor wrote:

>hi,

<snip other points that were already adressed in other responses>

>or python simply isn't suited to write bigger (more complex) apps?

In our company, we work with scientific software, mostly in the area of
oil extraction. Our applications were being developed only in C++, and
since the beginning of the year, we have switched to a Python/C++
approach, and we are *very* impressed.

Our applications are being developed *much* quickly, features can be
added very fast, and the Python code is at least 1/5th of the equivalent
C++ code. Plus, thanks to Python simplicity and elegance, the code is
much more readable and easy to understand.

We implement the heavy duty processes in C++, and export those to Python
using Boost.Python, and the performance is just great, ie, we can't see
any difference between an application written entirely in C++ and other
in Python/C++. We were a little worried that our application would be
slower because of Python, but that just didn't happen, and more and more
code that we thought we would have to implement in C++ ended up being
implemented in Python anyway.

We have a limited use of unit tests (we're still adapting to that), but
event then we have very few of the problems you mentioned, like changing
the name of method. And I'm confident that this problems would disappear
if we could count on a comprehensive test suite. So, in practice, this
is not a problem at all.

In our experience, Python is more than suitable to develop large-scale
applications. 8)

Regards,
Nicodemus.