Slogan: Getting Rich Overnight

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Aug 11 02:51:22 EDT 2003

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> Anything with "get rich {quick,fast,overnight}" already has far too
>> many negative connotations to sound un-lame.
>
> Right. But is this my fault?

Yes, it's your fault.  The language already exists, and you know it's out
there, so you are guilty of picking the extant lame words.

Are you guilty of inventing the lame words?  No, of course not.  But if you
say "fuck you" to someone, does it matter who invented it?

> Fine. And you let spammers dictate to you what they want
> you to think?

Dude, "get rich overnight" was lame way before spammers.  Face it, your
slogan only sounds good to the choir.  Someone like me, who isn't converted
on Python yet, rightfully asks "How stupid do you think I am?"

> I do think this is going way too far.
> We have already allowed them to get too far.
> Did I say anything bad? Nothing at all, this was said by
> other people. And those are dictating to us, what to say
> and what not to say.
> SHould we really continue to support this?

Get over it.  Go back to the drawing board, design another slogan.  You test
marketed your slogan, it failed.  That's life.  It doesn't take that much
time and energy to come up with other slogans.  Heck, given enough
iterations, maybe you'll find a new career in marketing.  Marketing is
actually pretty important to the success of software, so you could even
stick to high tech marketing.

> I hereby simply propose to prohibit SPAM. Really, really
> prohibiting it, with all legal consequences.

We couldn't even get the UN to prohibit WMDs in a timely, accountable
fashion.  12 years of Saddam's stonewalling, followed by a French suggestion
that we should do 12..18 months more of it, despite the obvious
implacability of the dictator.  Suggest you look to illegal consequences,
because legal ones can't do anything.  The problem with illegal consequences
in anti-SPAM arenas is the tend to only do collateral damage, not hit the
perps.

> I do want to be able to say that I got rich overnight, by using Python.

Generally speaking, that's a Testimonial.

> When *we* are unable to accept such a statement, because
> *some* people are claiming this to be *their* spamming
> vocabulary, whose fault is this, then?

Yours.  You are way too idealistic, worrying about langauge ownership issues
that are completely beyond your control.  Your idealism is your own fault.
Pragmatists simply observe "this won't work" and move on with something that
will.

> Shame on me as well, since I installed a SPAM filter,
> instead of starting a real fight which they can't win.

Your idealism also inhibits your ability to make a realistic analysis on
this point.

20% of the world is real.