boost python & 2.3

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Aug 4 15:16:15 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> Dave Reed wrote:
>> What version of boost are you using? 1.30.0 won't work with Python
>> 2.3; however, the CVS version of boost does work with Python
>> 2.3. David Abrahams has indicated this on the boost list and I can
>> confirm that it does work with Python 2.3 (at least on a Solaris 9
>> system).
>
> On Linux too -- if and when you can get it all downloaded from
> sourceforge (this has proved to be a real problem for me -- I did
> manage once on my own machine, but later failed twice on another
> machine despite the latter having excellent net backbone access),

We now have a mirror at boost-consulting:

    cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at boost-consulting.com:/boost login

    cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at boost-consulting.com:/boost checkout boost

> and with an annoying but apparently ineliminable warning about
> double definition of _POSIX_C_SOURCE on just about each file that
> does get compiled (it gets defined in both /usr/include/features.h and
> /usr/local/include/python2.3/pyconfig.h), which, however, does seem
> to be "benign" (quite annoying, but not really problematic).

I'm pretty sure this is just the "must include Python.h before any
other system header" problem.  That translates into "must include a
Boost.Python header before any system header" when using Boost.Python.

This issue is non-boost/non-python-specific.  It's all about Posix.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting