uiToolkit and some GUI benchmarking

Michael Peuser mpeuser at web.de
Thu Aug 14 09:58:24 EDT 2003

Hi,

is there an official way to acquire SecretLabs uiToolkit? I understand they
no longer sell PythonWorks.

I recently became a fan of Fredrik Lundh's WCK which gives fresh wind to
Tkinter. It seems that this is the "open source spin off" of uiToolkit.

WCK can be very fast. I benchmarked some hundered redraws of some thousend
characters:

0.8 sec  a simple WCK widget
0.9 sec  Tkinter.Message (a widget which is somewhat underestimated!)
4.3 sec  Tkinter.Text
5.8 sec  Tkinter.ListBox

Most of the time is spend in internal working of update() however; these
figures also change depending on screen depth.

But there is great potial in WCK in annotating the displayed text. I added
small coloured rectangle to each and every character just for fun. Well,
after that it took 17 sec for 200 updates - this however means less than 0.1
sec for something Canvas would take 3+ sec (on my laptop at least...)

Kindly
Michael P