Object Database (ODBMS) for Python

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sun Aug 31 14:18:18 EDT 2003

Patrick-

I think based on this and your other posts I now understand better where
you are coming from. Thanks for the explainations and comments.

To try to restate (and better justify) what I now think I see as your
point of view on this transactional API issue, let me present this analogy.

When one builds a modern GUI application that supports complete
multicommand "Undo" and "Redo" such as built on the Macintosh MacApp
framework
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/MacAppProgGuide/MacAppProgGuide-44.html
or any other similar approach, the stategy generally is to have a stack
of Command (subclassed) objects, where each such object supports "do",
"undo" and "redo". We use a general purpose system like this for example
in our Garden Simulator software (and other Delphi applications --
hopefully someday to be ported to Python).
   http://www.gardenwithinsight.com/progmanlong.htm
Rather than mess with the application's data domain directly, every user
action in such an undoable application, from selecting an object in a
drawing program, to making a change with a slider, to dragging an
object, to deleting an item, to even setting multiple options in a
dialog (if each change isn't itself a command), creates a command (i.e.
a transaction), which changes the domain and then continues to modify
the domain while it is active (say at the top of the command stack while
a mouse is dragged) and then completely finishes modifying the domain
and is left on the stack when all the related GUI activity is done.
While the command (transaction) itself may fiddle with the domain, no
button press, or mouse click, or drop down selection ever messes
directly with the data domain (or what might in another context be sort
of like the business logic and business data). By constraining changes
to this approach, one can readily do, undo, and redo a stack of commands
to one's heart's content -- and subject to available memory :-) or other
limits.

Your transaction notion in PyPerSyst, now that I understand it better,
seems to have something of this GUI command system flavor. And that
emphasis is perhaps why you do not feel it is inconsistent to have one
way to read values and another way to change values, since changing
values is something in this model requiring significant forethought as
an application level transaction. Implicitely, what you are getting at
here is a development methodology where all data domain changes go
through transactions (commands), and the transactions have been
consciously considered and designed (rather than just resulting from
randomly poking around in the data domain). And that is perhaps why you
are so against the implicit transactions -- they violate this
development methodology of being explicit about what chunks of changes
are a transaction (as an atomic unit).  The same sort of issues come up
whan people try to avoid COmmand type framekworks, thinking it is easier
to just fire off changes directly to the data domain from GUI events
(and it is easier -- just not undoable or consistent). Adhering to a
transactional (command-al?) development methodology makes it very
straightforward to understand how the application is structured and what
it can or cannot do (i.e just look in the transaction (or command) class
hierarchy). And so, from your perspective, it is quite reasonable to
have a lot of work go into crafting transaction objects (or subclassing
them from related ones etc.) in the same way that it is expected that
GUI applications with undo/redo capabilities will have a lot of effort
put into their analogous "Command" class hierarchy.

To step back a minute, in general, a transactional development
methodology is in a way a step up from the random flounderings of how
many programs work, with code that changes the data domain potentially
sprinkled throughout the application code based, rather than cleanly
specified in a set of Command or Transaction subclasses. So you are sort
of proposing generally a step up in people's understanding and practice
of how to deal with applications and persistent data.

Does this sort of capture an essential part of what you are getting at
here with your PyPerSyst application architecture development strategy?
If so, I like it. ;-)

All the best.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pointrel.org

P.S. The Pointrel System supports abandoning in process transactions by
sotrign all the data it changes long the way, and being able to roll
back to this state. But, with an object database as you have outlined
it, I think this would naturally be a lot more complicated -- although
perhaps you could adopt the "undo" and "redo" aspect of Commands
(including stashing the old objects somewhere in case of a redo...)

[Lots of good stuff snipped, and thanks for the interesting dialogue. :-)]