Van Gale news at exultants.org
Sun Aug 24 00:07:38 EDT 2003

Lawrence Oluyede wrote:
>  P at draigBrady.com wrote:
>
>>If you want to try different machines
>>then http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/gcccpuopt will give
>>you the appropriate machine specific gcc options to use.
>
> Very cool script, thanks :) Anyway it didn't change so much with erf.c
> erfCPU is compiled with the flags suggested by gcccpuopt script:
>
> $ gcccpuopt
>  -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -msse -mmmx -m3dnow

You still need some -O optimization flags.  The -m options just let gcc
generate some nice instructions specific to your Athlon CPU.

Also, I don't think that script is all that useful because at least some
(if not all) of those -m options are already implied by -march=athlon-xp
(I don't recall which ones off the top of my head but I'll find a
reference for anyone interested... you can also find out by looking at
the gcc command line option parsing code).

Anyone who wants some other good ideas for the best flags on their
machine check out ccbench:

http://www.rocklinux.net/packages/ccbench.html

The problem here of course is that not all applications behave like the
benchmarks :(

Van Gale