What's better about Ruby than Python?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Aug 21 02:09:58 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> I confess to being fond of the
>
>    atom = Atom()
>
> idiom.  I know it breaks down, eg, for a function which returns
> a newly created class, but it's too ingrained in me.

Back when I gave Eiffel a serious try, I easily slid into [the
equivalent of]:
    itsAtom = Atom()
[for an instance member variable -- anAtom for a local,
theirAtom for a class-variable, etc -- Robert Martin's idea
to distinguish those lexically in languages which confuse
the scopes].  In other words, naming a basically-anonimous
"generic instance of class Atom" hardly requires a case
sensitive language, IMHO.

Alex