2.3 Redhat 9 Tkinter IDLE

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 3 03:50:26 EDT 2003

"RT Lange" <whiteywidow at yahoo.com> writes:

> im trying to get idle to work and its really getting frustrating
> (and from what ive read on other posts i am not alone)
>
> i think i have to edit the Modules/Setup file but im confused as
> to what to uncoment and what to change.

No, you don't have to edit Modules/Setup. _tkinter is built
automatically if you have the header files installed.

> Why does this have to be so difficult?

Because you have limited disk space. As a result of that, Redhat
decides not to install all header files by default. As a result of
that, you have to make an explicit choise as to what header files to
install.

> Can anyone provide step by step inststructions?

Sorry, I don't have Redhat 9, so I don't know what the name of the
package is that contains the Tk header files. It probably has the
strings "tcl" and "dev" in their name.

I also don't know whether you installed the system from CD-ROM, DVD,
or via the network, so I can't give precise instructions as to what
media to insert into what slot.

It would be better if you reported the steps you have been doing, and
the problems you see.

Regards,
Martin