how fast is Python?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 29 12:15:17 EDT 2003

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> Please bear in mind that the test code included the start up time for
> interpreter. For jython, this is a high cost, because starting a JVM
> often takes up to 10 seconds or more.

10?!  On my machine, starting one of the swing demos from the 1.4.2
JDK takes anywhere between zero and two seconds.

While (C)Python  is quicker than that, it can only be quicker by
two seconds, which can be ignored IMHO.

Mabe you meannot the startup time, but the time it takes
when the (server)HotSpot JIT reaches full speed. That sometimes
takes a while because it incrementally compiles the bytecodes.

--Irmen