Summer reading list

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Wed Aug 13 12:04:39 EDT 2003

"Joe Cheng" <jmcheng at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:<mailman.1060713261.4958.python-list at python.org>...
> To me it sounds disturbingly like "Procedures are more flexible than
> classes because you can compose classes out of procedures."

I would subscribe that. Not that I dislike inheritance, but  I don't kill
a mosquito with a bazooka.

Let me give a real life example, happened to me recently.

I had a class manipulating text, with a "dedent" method. It turns out
that the "textwrap" module included in the Python 2.3 distribution
contains a "dedent" function doing exactly the same.
Then I had the satisfaction of killing my own implementation,
and to add to my class the textwrap.dedent function just with one
line of code, "dedent=staticmethod(textwrapper.dedent)". I am
very happy with that because:

1) I shortened my class;
2) I reused pre-existing code;
3) I trust the developers of the standard library more than myself;
4) If the standard library contains bugs, they are much more easily
   discovered than my own bugs;
5) the burden to fix them is up the Python developers, not me ;)

The fact that "dedent" was a function and not a method in a class
made my life easier. I had not to worry about inheriting from another
class with potential name clashes with my own, and "dedent" was the
only function I needed.

Fortunately, quite a lot of modules in the standard library are
written without a class interface and I would date say I have never
seen an example of usage of a class when the class is not needed.

In other words: most of the time a lightweight approach is more than
appropriate, why should I be forced to take a heavy weight approach?
The fact of having "free" functions (i.e. not bounded to classes) is
to me a big strenght of Python and it helps reuse of code quite a lot.

To reuse classes is good, but typically only works when you know
about the class you want to inherit *before* you start coding your
own class; on the other hand, it is quite easy to add functions
or methods to your class even *after* you wrote it.

Moreover, this is nothing wrong about using many short modules collecting
utilities functions, you will never clutter your namespace, if you use
a minimum of care (even globals are globals only in their module,
I love that! ;)

I tend to code in terms of small functions, then I compose them in
small classes, then I compose the classes in modules. When I am
done, I play with metaclasses if I need to modify what I wrote
with a minimum of effort.

There are quite few languages that can give you such a flexibility,
and no one simpler to use than Python.

Just my own view,

                   Michele