Need good example database schema

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Fri Aug 29 19:52:34 EDT 2003

Istvan Albert <ialbert at mailblocks.com> writes:

> Mark Carter wrote:
>
> > I found a link:
> > http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/oopbad.htm
> > (and there are others) who suggest that object-oriented databases
> > aren't a good idea. Tabular databases (and in fact a tabular
> > design
>
> Actually what the link above suggests is that OOP is evil in
> general. The brief discourse on OOP not being appropriate for data
> modeling is just a tiny part of it. To sum it up for those that do
> not want to read it:
>
> OOP = Communism

And his comparison of OO vs. Relational shows equally deep insights.
Here is his summary of that situation:

"The base philosophical differences I seem to have with the OO
paradigm seem to boil down to the appropriateness of trees, the
appropriateness of global taxonomies compared to local or ad-hoc
taxonomies, and the network-database-like structure of OO versus
relational."

He can't seem to see the forest for the trees, or so it seems.  ;-)

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien