What's better about Ruby than Python?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Mon Aug 18 13:52:09 EDT 2003

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> If you joined a Chevy car mailing list and asked "what is better
> about Ford than Chevy?" would you expect to hear intelligent,
> insightful responses? Perhaps you would receive good answers, perhaps
> not.  But if you never actually looked at a Ford how would you know?

Let me make myself as clear as I can.  I am not the slightest bit interested
in yours or anyone else's philosophy of whether I should have asked the
question, or what manner I should have asked it.  I asked a very simple
question, and in some cases was rewarded with very simple, helpful answers.
Whereas this meta-debate is a complete waste of time.

> BTW, my reason, like many here is Ruby looks like Perl and I prefer
> Python's syntax and design approach.  Not a very scientific reason,
> about the same as saying "well, I like blue ones more than red ones".

Thanks for the info.  You seem to agree with the Ruby FAQ on this point,
that the langauges have different design styles and people may prefer one or
the other.  IMO this isn't a "better" because I'm a pragmatist.  My rating
for stylism is "is it much less painful than C++ ?"  If so then I don't
care.

20% of the world is real.