how fast is Python?

Steve Horsley steve.horsley1 at virgin.NO_SPAM.net
Thu Aug 28 15:40:59 EDT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:00:19 +0000, Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Spend a few tens of millions on developing just-in-time compilers
> and program analysis.  That worked for Java.

Have you heard of Jython - python language running on a java VM? It's kind
of double interpreted - the python source is converted to JVM bytecode,
and then the JVM runs it however that JVM runs bytecode. I guess it should
be many times faster than python because of the JVM performance, and
wopuld be interested to hear any comparisons.

Steve