Advice to a Junior in High School?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 19:32:46 EDT 2003

Howard Nease wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
> my future career path. Here is my situation:
>
> I am a bright Junior in a very well-respected private high school, taking
> almost all AP and accelerated classes. I am HIGHLY interested in technology,
> more specifically the field of Computer Science and software engineering. I
> have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for software engineers
> nowadays is *HORRIBLE*, and that I should double major or perhaps go into a
> field of study in which I'm not very interested.

By the time you graduate it will be a different world. There will be a
shortage because everyone is being told the same thing you are. A glut
arose because folks were being told the opposite. These same folks give
up looking for a job in compsci after a month, you'll get a job as a
waiter and look for a year. and you can settle for less because you love
the work. the latter will also make you better at it than money chasers,
and will help you interview better.

btw, i would say this even if you were from a highly-disrespected inner
city public school. :)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc