Pythonic way of web-programming

Thomas Guettler pan-newsreader at thomas-guettler.de
Sat Apr 5 02:49:46 EST 2003

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 19:04:37 +0200, Giorgi wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Let me start with the statement that I am not a professional
> web-programmer. My tasks are rather linked with the scientific
> calculations and algorithm prototyping.
>
> Recently I have started to make a Georgian language based web-site for
> Python. It was a natural feeling not to use, say, php or perl for
> web-content management. I have gone through different approaches
> available in Python; namely:
> - CGI (with or without mod-python and / or cpy ) ; - ZOPE ; - Jython /
> J2EE ;
> - ASP .NET ;
> - Webware PSP.

It depends on what you want to do.

Zope is bloated. Nevertheless I use it because the ZCatalog lets you
index python objects easily. The downside: Most providers don't let you
use it.

If performance is not very important, I would use cgi.

I was told, that scgi is better than mod_python. But never used one of
both: http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/scgi/

If you want it to be 100% Python you can use medusa: A webserver written
in python.

 thomas

--
Thomas Guettler <guettli at thomas-guettler.de>