Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Apr 6 18:51:14 EDT 2003

> The main reason I started PyAlaMode is that I wanted the same
> autocompletion and calltips that I've got in the PyCrust shell, but
> while I'm editing a file.  Those features are working now, and are
> pretty sweet, if I do say so myself, since they are based on dynamic
> namespaces updated whenever you want, one per buffer, with no
> conflicts no matter how many buffers you have open, with automatic
> reloading of imported modules.

Scite (based on Scintilla) has calltips and auto-completetion and is
friendly towards Python. It's multi-platform too. I've often thought a
python-scriptable Scite would be a great thing. I'd bet that wrapping (boost
or swig) the main scite (C++) class would give you a lot of the same
primatives as emacs. Graft on user keystroke assignment and you're well on
the way...

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA