Overloadable Assignment PEP

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu Apr 3 18:01:35 EST 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:

> Then again, I wouldn't mind adding the new operator ":=" which was
> "generic augmentation"... the operator could do -absolutely nothing-
> for
> standard types, but could be available for custom meaning in custom
> types.

That strikes me as a better approach; having a special "augmentation"
operator which has no predefined meaning but can be overridden as
desired, and thereby leaving usual assignment alone.

The only reservation I might have is whether or not := is a good choice,
simply because of the :=/= and =/== language differences out there.

/  \ The decree is the Sultan's, the mountains are ours.
\__/ Dadaloglu
    Official Omega page / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/
 The official distribution page for the popular Roguelike, Omega.