Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:10:12 EDT 2003

Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> I suppose one could bind attributes (current frame, current buffer,
> point) to a module and then import that module everywhere that needed
> access to these attributes

That's no better, because they're still global -- there's
still only *one* of each of them, whereas there really
needs to be different ones in different contexts.

A function which needs to operate on a frame should be
passed a frame. Some buffer will be displayed in that
frame: frame.buffer. That buffer will have a point:
frame.buffer.point. Etcetera.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,