Exception.__init__ needed in derived class?

george young gry at ll.mit.edu
Wed Apr 23 14:07:54 EDT 2003

[python-2.3a1]
Does class Exception have a constructor __init__ that needs
to be called?  I couldn't find this in the docs.  I see many
uses of inheriting from Exception without invoking
Exception.__init__(self), but nobody ever *said* that this
was safe to leave out...

Pychecker complains about this, which is what brought it to
mind.  I can certainly invoke it just to make pychecker
happy, but I wondered...

--
 I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is
 not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific they seem. Ah,