Terminal-based text editor with color syntax hilighting

lucio lucio at movilogic.com
Tue Apr 1 14:17:29 EST 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:

>I *have*
>been using vim on one host recently, and have kinda-sorta learned basic
>navigation, but it won't stick in my head after a month (I know from
>experience).  Likewise with emacs.
>
>Jed has this wonderful feature of having topbar menus that actually let
>you visually select the most common actions (without needing to remember
>a cryptic key-sequence).  This fabulous design had only been in DOS
>text editors since 1982, so it's nice that Linux is starting to catch up
>with that.

i dont consider adding text menus to vim to catch up. Vim is very good
at what it is.

Rant aside, i use like vi because:
- I like the command/edit modes, very helful for fast editing
- i like the portability, i use it on windows and linux
- it has gvim, which i use when runing X or windows. there you have
menus and all the stuff.

if you learn to use vim, you can take it everywhere with you. The only
yhing missing (i think) is code autocompletion (it has command
autocompletion).

Lucio, in sunny vi paradise.