Pythonic way of web-programming

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 4 12:32:47 EST 2003

In article <a3b5b608.0304040904.146dfff5 at posting.google.com>,
Giorgi <lekishvili at python.qartu.com> wrote:

>- Is Python a real web-programming language at all? I mean, has
>somebody ever used it for real, commercial tasks? Please, do not
>consider my question too trivial. There is no language equally
>suitable for all tasks, however, Python seems to me a language
>naturally tailored for web-programming; this or that way, I have more
>than two years of experience of professional programming in Python.

No, Python is not a real web-programming language (in comparison to, say,
PHP).  However, Python is a real programming language, period; with
Python, it is possible to construct useful frameworks for programming Web
applications, and Zope has served as a proof of this for many years.

The reason why there are so many solutions is because there are tradeoffs
for ease vs. power for each type of web application -- and there are
many types of web applications.  The "only one way" Pythonic principle
just doesn't apply.

Probably the "standard" answers these days for the basic building block
of a web application is either Zope (if you want a full-blown framework
for content management) or Quixote (if you want a relatively simple
system that feels like programming in Python).

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz, c.l.py, 2/4/2002