Python & Music: Performance question

Bob van der Poel bvdpoel at kootenay.com
Mon Apr 7 17:26:09 EDT 2003

Max M wrote:
> achrist at easystreet.com wrote:
>
>>Is there anything in Python like the Midi support in the java
>>sdk?  (under MS Windows) It's pretty easy in java to send midi data
>>straight from the program to the midi sequencer or synthesizer
>>(no need to write a file or deal with some external player).
>>Anything like that for Python?
>

> Not really no. Especially not something that is cross-platform.
>
> It really is a pitty, as Python would be exceptionally good for
> algorithmic composition.

Just to get a plug in for my program, MMA,
http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel/music.html, I had the same
considerations. I ended up just having the program create midi files and
use an external player to play them. But, it would be nice to have a
python "play this as a midi stream" function.

EMAIL: bvdpoel at kootenay.com
WWW:   http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel