Data-driven testing

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu Apr 24 03:16:25 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> For throwaways, I don't write quite so many tests, and in many cases if
> it's only a "small" throwaway script (e.g. one or two subroutines only,
> plus a little mainline) I will write a test or two for the subroutines
> (because I'm doing TDD, not because I want to have unit tests to make
> sure my script works properly... if you see the distinction) but never
> for the mainline.

While I do understand the principles of tdd, testing first and all that,
I have a hard seing why it should be an advantage to do it in the early
stages of a project.

Normaly if a am entering a new domain, where I don't have a clear
picture of the requirements, I try out different approaches. Each
approach using a different combination of ideology, objects and functions.

This is all to get a feel of the best approach in this particular
domain. Some times I try out a *lot* of approaches before I end up with
a particular elegant design.

At which point I am ready to "solve the problem". It is at this point I
can see the point of unit testing.

In tdd do you really use testing for the first "creative" fase also?

--

hilsen/regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark

http://www.futureport.dk/
Fremtiden, videnskab, skeptiscisme og transhumanisme