Visual Basic - Python compare

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Apr 29 14:56:45 EDT 2003

"andrew cooke" <andrew at acooke.org> writes:

> komodo has a gui builder these days (don't know how good it is).
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/more_information.plex

Good point, I should have mentioned Komodo.  For me, the GUI drawback
is that it's Tk based (so same look and feel issue as I had with
Pythonworks).

But Komodo has an even bigger strike in my testing - it's still just a
huge user of system resources, even in its latest release, which has
definitely improved from earlier releases.  Not sure how much of this
is due to using the Mozilla base or not.

I won't claim load times are anywhere near the best measure, but it's
one data point - at least on my machine it takes over 45s (and 30+MB
of memory) just to start up (20+s even on immediately subsequent
attempts).  That compares to 10s (10MB) for VB 6.0 and 9s (11MB) for
Visual Studio .NET (on first loads), not to mention the other Python
IDEs I've tried.

-- David