Creating a stand alone Python Service (win32)

Michael Steuer news1NOSPAM at awakened-lands.net
Sun Apr 20 06:41:16 EDT 2003

Hi.

I want to use a Python service I wrote as a stand alone service, meaning
that it should be possible to install the service on a client without having
to install Python first. As I did with other Python (non service)
applications before, I used py2exe to convert the service into a stand alone
application. This "stand alone" service runs fine on my development machine,
but it won't work on a computer without Python installed (respectively the
win32 extensions for Python), as it needs the PythonService.exe to be
registered on the client.

I tried to register the PythonService.exe on the client, but (after adding
the DLLs it needs) I got the following message when running
"PythonService.exe /register" (enclosed in *'s to separate it from the rest
of this message):

*********************************
Registering the Python Service Manager ...

Is there a way to get "PythonService.exe" to run on a client without
installing Python ?

If that is not possible, how could I change my service so that it doesn't
need PythonService.exe anymore ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

--
Cheers,

Mike.

PS: remove NOSPAM from my reply address to get my actual email address.