os.chmod() question ?

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Thu Apr 3 11:50:25 EST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:08:24PM -0800, Anand B Pillai wrote:

> [snip - differeing behavior of os.chmod on Windows and Linux]
>
> Do I need to pass an octal integer as the second argument ?

  No.  But you do need to pass the right bits, and these are most commonly
selected by typing in an integer in octal base.  ;)  You seem to be aware
that 0777 is not the same as 777, so go ahead and throw the 0 in front.
This should be required on Linux as well as Windows, so I'm not sure how you
got the results you did on Linux (I get -r----x--t when passing 777 to
chmod).

  Jp

> Thanks
> Anand Pillai
> --

Lowery's Law:
        If it jams -- force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.