eval function

jepler at unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Apr 24 08:09:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 01:49:39PM +0200, Franck Bui-Huu wrote:
> Hy,
>
> I would like to use eval function with my own dicts.

You can't.  There's a partially-working patch somewhere for this (I wrote
it) but the performance impact was deemed too great for it to be included
in core Python (the performance impact was between 3% and 5% as far as I
recall, even when the feature was not used.  The performance impact is much
greater if the feature *is* used, though I don't remember a figure)

Try looking for a related patch on the python patch tracker.  You can
recompile Python with this patch added, if you know how.

Jeff