What means exactly "Memory error"?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 11:26:50 EDT 2003

[Bo M. Maryniuck. gets a traceback ending with
    File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/_xmlplus/dom/Event.py",
        line 93, in initEvent
    self.bubbles = canBubbleArg
    MemoryError
]

I can't help with your app, but I can tell you what MemoryError means.  Python raises MemoryError when:

1. A call to the system malloc() or realloc() returns NULL (there's
   not enough memory to proceed).

or

2. *Before* calling the system malloc() or realloc(), Python determines
   that the value of the argument it would need to pass is too big to
   fit in a variable of the platform's type size_t, so that it's not
   even possible to try asking malloc/realloc for that much memory (those
   take an argument of type size_t).

As with any failure at such a low level in the system, the possible causes are too numerous to try to guess.  The most likely cause is that you've simply run out of memory (#1 above) -- but that's more a symptom than an explanation.  Don't expect it to be easy to resolve.