*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Apr 24 15:02:02 EDT 2003

In article <k_2dnckpjsVftTWjXTWcpQ at speakeasy.net>,
A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
>On 24 Apr 2003 06:56:51 -0700,
>	Graham Fawcett <graham__fawcett at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course we have no infrastructure for this (at least for the ones
>> that cost money). But I'm sure we could create one if the need arose.
>
>Two sites were created for this purpose, SourceExchange and Cosource.  Both
Also Collab.Net and a few others, but, yes,
there were FAR less successful than expected.

One of the characteristics of software is that
we deal with enormous temporal ranges (from
microseconds to minutes, in a typical appli-
cation; as engineering goes, that's a big
factor).  It's impressive that the effici-
ency of our work structures can be almost
equally far removed from the smooth output of
some of its work products.
>are now dead and gone, which should tell you something.  Such a tip-jar
>system produces trivial amounts of money, $20 or $100. If you had $50K to
>spend, you could hire a developer to work on something for 40 hours a week,
>but that amount of money is not found in a tip jar.
			.
		[stuff I don't follow,
		but perhaps is true]
			.