Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:21:27 EDT 2003

Paul Foley wrote:
> Don't forget the ~20000 other variables that you'd have to pass around
> as explicit arguments to *every single function*.

Paul, you're suffering from an extremely bad case of
tunnel thinking.

You wouldn't pass around 20,000 variables. You would
pass around a very few objects (in most cases probably
just one, i.e. a buffer) from which everything else you
need can be gotten to if and when you need it.

> Exactly as with the non-lexical variables that Python sports right
> now.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with dynamic scoping.

I'm not sure what you think "lexical" means, because
according to most people's definition, Python's scoping
is very much lexical, for both locals and globals.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,