How to protect python code ?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Apr 7 05:39:27 EDT 2003

>>> msw wrote
> I'm really interested in this as well, and I think that it's an
> important issue for python.  Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've
> discovered by now, it's a question that comp.lang.python is
> constitionally incapable of answering.

I think that's a bit harsh. I've not seen anyone in c.l.py who needed
it and who was willing to do the work and release it and maintain it.
This is open source - you scratch your own itches. For what it's worth,
the proprietary fore-runner to Zope (Principia) had something like this.
I have no idea if the work they did on this was ever released. I know of
at least two other people who've done something similar with "encrypted"
byte codes, but they never released their work (I don't think either of
them still use this.)

If it's an important issue to you, then consider contributing
(effort, money, whatever) to make it happen. Simply saying on c.l.py
"this is important to me" doesn't achieve much.

Anthony