The Whitespace Language

Colin Blackburn colin.blackburn at durham.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 09:12:19 EST 2003

In article <283adf56.0304011143.4f4a6934 at posting.google.com>,
kdahlhaus at yahoo.com says...
> I'm getting so much entertrainment out of the the joke on the jokers
> that created the Whitespace Language page -since we use indentation to
> delimit block strucutre, white-space has been part of Python's syntax
> since the beginning.  Ha!

Which they fully acknowledge. Where's the joke on them?

"Didn't you know that python already has whitespace as syntax?"

"Yes, we did know. I quite like python, in fact. You might even have
noticed that the language I chose to implement it in has whitespace as
syntax. We never said "every" modern programming language ignored
whitespace, just "most" of them. C, C++, C#, Java, Perl, Scheme all
swallow whitespace, except perhaps as token delimiters."

Colin