SV: Function to convert fetchone() result from a list to a dictionary

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Apr 29 08:02:23 EDT 2003

Carsten Gehling wrote:
> [...]

No.

> - say, if I someday changed to (shudder) Postgres or Oracle?

I don't use (shudder) MySQL :-P

pyPgSQL has it's own tuple type that will also allow you to access
columsn via name:

for row in cursor.fetchall():
	print row.FIELD_1, row[2], row["FIELD_2"] # 3 syntaxes possible

For my Oracle uses, I adapted pyPgSQL's PgResultSet class and built a
generic DB-API wrapper around it (it wraps connections and cursors, such
that all cursor.fetchXX now return PgResultSets).

AFAIK both MySQLdb and psycopg support the .dictfechXXX() methods.

My favourite so far is db_row (http://opensource.theopalgroup.com/) as
it can be used with any database and seems to be pretty darn fast. Our
plans are to adapt this or develop something similar for pyPgSQL 3 and
PySQLite 0.5.

-- Gerhard