What are the differences between SWIG and Boost.Python?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Apr 5 08:40:13 EST 2003

> MR> - wrap small C libs with Pyrex,
> MR> - wrap big C libs with SWIG,
> MR> - wrap small C++ libs with boost.python,
> MR> - wrap big C++ with (I still have to do that ;)
>
> pyste = (python + gcc-xml + boost.python)

Plus I saw a recent reference to something called SIP?

There was a recent item on slashdot lamenting how much effort is wasted
in the free software community on reinventing the wheel, and how much
better off we would be if there was less NIH going on and more people
cooperating on fewer projects.  Do we really need a half-dozen ways to
make Python talk to C/C++?

Other obvious examples include the plethora of linux distros, Gnome vs.
KDE, Open/Free/Net-BSD.