Zope and FreeBSD

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Mon Apr 21 01:33:58 EDT 2003

On 20 Apr 2003, Wenshan Du wrote:

> I've built a website with Zope 2.5.1 and FreeBSD 4.3, it's better than
> other solutions.
>
> The server got so slow recently that I have to reboot every 3 days,
> and Zope stop sometimes.
>
> I don't know why, is zope not stable on FreeBSD? or FreeBSD got virus?

FreeBSD 4.3 is pretty old now, and there have been quite a few security
fixes, so I'd upgrade to 4.8 first off.

You don't say anything about the size of the hardware so its hard to tell
whether you've got a scale problem, although I'd suggest not.

You might want to check the memory usage of your Zope process(es), in case
you've cornered yourself with some code that suffers gross memory
consumption (thus using swap space, slowing things down).

I vaguely recall interned strings being an issue, because they don't get
released when you expect.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia