Should I prefer an external database

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Apr 22 14:05:55 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 10:12, Graham Fawcett wrote:
> > Now, that all said, you might want an external database with an
> > object-relational mapper.  Using SQLObject (plug: http://sqlobject.org),
> > you'd do it like:
> >
> > from SQLObject import *
> >
> >  [snipped code]
>

> Oh, that's very interesting, Ian. I wasn't aware of the project.
>
> Do you have, or are you working toward, support for transactions?

I exposes the database's transactional support.  So on Postgres, yes, on
MySQL, no (technically MySQL "maybe", but practically "no").

> I wonder, too, if you support Postgresql as a backend and if so, is
> there any plan to use its inheritance features for mapping Python
> subclasses. Just curious...

Yes, Postgresql is supported, but the inheritance features aren't.  You
could probably *use* such tables easily enough, but some of the more
advanced features might not be available, and you couldn't automatically
create such tables.  But it's not out of the question that something
like this could be supported... though SQLObject is currently fairly
lowest-common-denominator.

  Ian