Problem with Tkinter

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Apr 8 22:51:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:55:30PM +0000, news.easynews.com wrote:
> I just managed to get Python configured to run with TK. I am running
> Python 2.2.2 with TCL/TK 8.3.5 on Redhat linux 8.0.
>
> When I try to run the recommended TK test, I get the following error:

Works fine here (redhat 9, etc)

What does
	>>> unicode("\347", "iso-8859-1")
give you?  It should give you
	u'\xe7'
but I'm guessing it'll give you the same LookupError message.  This
indicates that something about unicode codecs is incorrectly installed, not
a problem with Tkinter (necessarily)

    if TclVersion >= 8.1:
        try:
            text = text + unicode("\nThis should be a cedilla: \347",
                                  "iso-8859-1")
        except NameError:
            pass # no unicode support

I've never *heard* of a python misinstalled in this way, though...

Jeff