Why functional Python matters

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 23:11:25 EDT 2003

>But he regrets the inclusion of a crippled lambda, rather than the
>inclusion of support for anonymous functions (IIRC).

I was toying around in my own python parser about a year ago,
attempting to implement anonymous functions there. It was a
struggle, and in the end, I felt basically *forced* down the
same path the Python team went, until I included a set of tokens
for explicit scope (hey! this is just a toy environment, don't
look scandalized!).

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I suspect that Guido
didn't have any good alternatives. If someone has some, that
fit well with our beloved block delimited language, SHOW ME
DA MONEY! :-)

C//