Is this a super bug?

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Mon Apr 21 17:22:47 EDT 2003

> "Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.1050811779.16487.python-list at python.org>...
>
> > <snip> this is the sequence that "should" happen:
> >
> > 1  super(ff, f)[0]  # f == self
> > 2  superinst(type:<class ff>, obj:f)[0]
> > 3  si.__getitem__(0)
> > 4    si.__getattr__('  getitem  ')
> > 5    .. return str.__dict__['  getitem  '].__get__(f)
> > 6    boundmethod(str.__getitem__, f)
> > 7  bmeth(0)
> > 8   'a'
>
> I don't understand what you are trying to say here ...

> Special method lookup goes through the class, and since the class is
> Super, not obj.__class__, they can't be trapped through __getattr__.

Okay.

> (And for some reason they can't be trapped in a metaclass either...?)

?? Still unclear...

> Since Python has special attribute lookup rules for some attributes, the
> normal extension would be to define super as an object with data
> attributes from foo, and method attributes from Foobase. But that is not
> even correct, it has to have the method attributes from Foo, except when
> calling foo.m will call Foobase::m, but if Foobase::m calls m2, it will
> start lookup in Foo.
>
> One property this has is that given an empty subclass:

>  class Foo : Foobase: pass

> and a program context C with a hole, C[*] (i.e. C gives the value of the
> program once you put a value in the hole), then:

>   C[self] == C[super]

> proving properties in this half-baked scheme is much harder.

Not clear either ...

<snip>

> recall that
>  obj.meth.__get__(None, obj) is an unbound method

You mean   obj.meth.__get__(None,ObjClass)

> while
> m = obj.meth.__get__(ObjClass, obj) is a bound method

you mean  m = obj.meth.__get__(obj,ObjClass)

> when saying obj.meth, you're doing the latter which means:
>  1. if the instance contains the bound method, return it.
>  2. if the class contains an unbound method with this name
>    bind it to the object (create a bound method object
>    and return it.

Correct.

> And then the special case semantics:
>  obj[x]
>
> calls ObjClass.__getitem__(self, x) directly, not going through the
> steps above (thus my confustion that I can't trap it in the metaclass).

It seems working as a charm:

>>> class C(object):
...     def __getitem__(self,a):
...             return a
>>> c=C()
>>> c[1]
1
>>> c.__getitem__.__get__(c,C)
<bound method C.__getitem__ of <__main__.C object at 0x402f6c0c>>
>>> c.__getitem__.__get__(c,C)(1)
1

Here obj[x] does not seems a special case ...

> Thus, if I ask for __getitem__ by name, we follow the general rules, if
> the __getitem__ semantics is invoked indirectly through subscripting, we
> follow the special rules.

The only special behavior I see (see my other posting) is that when __getitem__
is not defined c[x] gives a TypeError and not an AttributeError.