__slots_ and inheritance

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:28:23 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:05:46 GMT,
	Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
> Yes, I would agree they should be.  I don't know how (and indeed, if)
> one can submit patches for AMK's "what's new" documents, though -- I
> don't normally think of them as part of "Python's docs"

They're in Doc/whatsnew/ .  People can submit patches or, for small things,
make changes and check them in; I'll rewrite later if I feel like it.

I've been only half-following this thread.  In the end, is there any
consensus on __slots__? Should the "What's New" document only mention them
as a way to save memory, or should their use be discouraged?  (I have no
reservations about describing a new feature as not particularly useful, or
about suggesting that a feature's use be avoided.)

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
"Eureka" is Greek for "This bath is too hot".
      -- The Doctor, in "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"